Friday, September 9, 2011

It is a Small World Afterall!

Yesterday I was reminded again on how small a world we live in and how we are all more connected than we realize – ESPECIALLY here in the dental field!!!

I happened to see a little garage sale that one of our neighbors was having on my way home yesterday. We’ve been looking for a mirror and I saw a beautiful wooden framed mirror with elegant detail that caught my eye in passing! So I turned around, parked, and walked over. I bought the lovely mirror for $25 and also acquired a lovely handmade pottery lamp! I don’t usually speak very much to vendors about personal matters but she helped me take the mirror over to my car and we started a brief conversation. She said that she recently moved to San Francisco from Berkeley. One of the offices that I work at is in Berkeley – so I mentioned that I worked there and had done my undergraduate studies there also! I asked her what she was doing in San Francisco and she stated that she was going to graduate school. Then she asked me what I did, and I mentioned that I was a dentist! She looked at me in surprise and said that she is going to be starting dental school this year!!! Then she said that she also went to school in Berkeley. Before I left she mentioned that she needed help collecting extracted teeth for school and I offered to help her and gave her my email and she will be dropping off a jar of bleach at one of my offices.

After this brief exchange, as I drove home with my mirror and lamp contraband, I reflected on this coincidence and wondered what exactly had led us to talk about our shared profession and share a bit of our lives –each with an almost complete stranger. I don’t usually ask people why they are moving, or think to believe they would tell me. I don’t usually stop at random garage sales let alone go out of my way to turn around and return. I was surprised again, pleasantly so, at how we are all connected in the world – especially dental world.

The lesson I’ve learned is that we are often surprisingly rewarded by extending ourselves to others and also that it just goes to show that we should be nice to EVERYONE that we can because you might see them again in the future – in the more immediate future than you think!!! I’ll probably see this young lady at dental meetings or our paths might cross again in the future!

It’s a small world…afterall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment