Sunday, September 25, 2011

Free Dental Services: CDA Cares May 18-19, 2012 - Volunteer if you can!


Today I was reading an update article in our monthly news magazine from our California Dental Association (http://www.cda.org/) and there was one story that caught my eye that I want to share with you about a new event called CDA Cares
As I continue through my journey through dentistry I am learning more and more about legislation and public health issues, policies, and budgets. I truly feel that as the economy continues to fluctuate, and dental benefits, and budgets follow, the need and demand for education, public health and public service will continue to increase. With the loss of Denti-cal for under-served adults and the loss of many prevention programs for children, the need for ways to provide Californians oral care is great. And as dental professionals, with a program like CDA cares, it gives me hope that we are on the right track to meeting those needs.
On May 18 -May 19, 2012 in Modesto,  CDA and Mission of Mercy with a team of dental volunteers will put together an event that they hope will help thousands of under-served Californians with their dental needs.. .Hopefully one of MANY events that will provide FREE DENTAL SERVICES. According to the article most of the supplies will be donated or almost donated by many national dental manufacturers to make the event possible!! What I admired most was the emphasis on education & educating patients about oral health and options for continuation of dental care even after the two day event is over.
I was really excited to read about this event where the article states they hope to help over 1,000 people per day. There are many events like this all over (if you have heard of RAM - they had a health event at the Oakland, CA Coliseum April 2011 - hence the video). I have seen many and helped in many dental events - but after an event is over, we have helped these patients but we don't know when they'll be able to be taken care of again. Like fish in the sea, they are tossed back to fend for themselves, waiting for the next free event or being seen only on an emergency basis. I greatly admire and support this emphasis on education and helping patients find resources that will allow continued dental care is a HUGE step in the right direction. I help drug rehabilitation and homeless veterans, and volunteer at Give Kids a Smile day, I have helped in churches and soup kitchens. Giving to the community and underserved is something very important for me. And to have this kind of event, on such a large scale - as most Mission of Mercy events can be is very exciting in the dental world.
What I love about dentistry, and health professionals in general, is that generally we want to give and help others and educate them to take better care of themselves. Everyone wants to be successful in their life - but what are your measurements of success? Being good to your own family and cultivating and taking care of patients in your practice is a wonderful ability and measure of success. But also giving back, volunteering, being kind to others, helping to makethe lives of others better are successful things in my book.
More information will come on how you can help. If you are not in California, PLEASE look out for programs such as these. A WONDERFUL resource I found is: Free Dental Work http://freedentalwork.org. But if you can help for this dental event - as a dental assistant, as a hygienist, as a dentist, or technician - PLEASE mark your calendars and VOLUNTEER!!! I know I'm going to try and help!!! I am SO EXCITED about this!!!
image courtesy of: blog.sfgate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment