Thursday, September 1, 2011

Backing up your work…A MUST!!! Blessed be to the virtual CLOUD!!!

This morning I open up my email and my web-admin in the headline says “we have a major problem.” It was almost like the infamous “Houston – we have a problem” although I have nothing up in space at this time.
I didn’t know how to react to that at first – who wants to start their day that way!!?? After a momentary hiccup I opened the email and it stated that the website had some coding associated with the themes of both the websites that I work on and that I might possibly have to repost, redesign, pretend as if the hours I devoted to them never happened and start EVERYTHING from scratch! AGGGH!!!!
My GOSH – all the things I’ve written and devoted time to how the websites look and the special little additions. Finally I was at a place where the groundwork and layout looked like how I wanted it – but all the content!!!

Crisis averted…thankfully one website was fine. BUT this dental perspective website -I did have to start from scratch again!! I had to redo everything, repost, redesign. BUT -  I was fortunate enough to put all my blogs not only on a backup file at home, but also on a backup file on another website associated with my email! My own created “virtual cloud.” And so….what could have been devastating to me – loss of information, loss of time and effort with nothing to show for it – instead turned out to be more an inconvenience than a devastating loss and even more importantly a disappointment for me.

What if this had been patient charts, patient information?!?! What an irreplaceable loss that would be – and a liability!!! That is why at the offices I work at there is an on location backup and an alternate backup. And this goes for EVERYTHING in life – not just dentistry – anything on your computer, tax information, addresses, notes, anything – this just was one more reminder, for me anyway, to back up everything!
So if you’re backing up all your data, you are AWESOME!! If not, do it as soon as you can! It makes me think that there really is more to the idea of “the virtual cloud” – so all the information cannot be lost and easily accessible to you if you need it!!! They might ask for a service fee for the “cloud” or do you just want to have your own hard drive backup?? Up to you – either way – have something, for your peace of mind.
Fry’s electronics – here I come – I’m off to get a hard drive backup right now!!!

image courtesy of: silicon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment